National Child Labour Project
The problem of child labour continues to pose a challenge before the nation. Government has been taking various pro-active measures to tackle this problem. However, considering the magnitude and extent of the problem and that it is essentially a socio-economic problem inextricably linked to poverty and illiteracy, it requires concerted efforts from all sections of the society to make a dent in the problem. In pursuance of the Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act, 1986 and the National Child Labour Policy, 1987 the Ministry of Labour and Employment has been implementing the National Child Labour Project (NCLP) Scheme.
Utkal Sevak Samaj is running a special school for child labour at Kundapadia village in Knheipur Gram Panchayat of Tangi Choudwar Block,Cuttack District with funding support from District Child Labour Society, Cuttack. This project based action programme aims at withdrawing and rehabilitating children working in identified hazardous occupations and processes through special schools and finally mainstreaming them to the formal education system. Apart from providing education and vocational training the project provides nutritious meals, health care & monthly stipend as supplementary income.
- Community Development
- Income Generation programs for Poor & Marginalized
- Promotion of Self Help Processes among Women
- Promotion of sustainable agriculture among tribal women
- Strengthening local self Governance and advocacy on rights of marginalized
- Training of Women PRI representatives on their duties and rights.
- Surveys : Initially a survey was carried out in the project area to determine to target group that provided information on the magnitude of child labour, its classification by occupation, age and its distribution.
- Accommodation : As per the norms of the scheme suitable accommodation has been taken on rent for having the special school.
- Nutrition : Children in the special school are served cooked nutritious meal on a daily basis. A provision of Rs.5/- per child per day has been made for this purpose. The Project is making convergence with other developmental programme to provide better nutrition.
- Stipend : Every child in special school is paid a stipend of Rs.100/- per month. The amount is deposited in the saving account opened in the Post Office/Bank in the name of the child. The accumulated amount can be withdrawn by the beneficiary only at the time of mainstreaming.
- Health Check-ups : The Project ensures regular health check-up of the children enrolled by The Medical Officers of State Government. Health Card in respect of every child is available at the school.
- Educational Instructor : This special school of 50 children involves two educational instructors and one vocational instructor. An amount of Rs.10000/- per year has been provided for educational and vocational material by the NCLP society.
- Vocational Training : Vocational training has been given special emphasis as children enrolled are mainly in the older age group of 9-14 years and have had previous experience. The vocational training have been imparted in Tailoring, Commercial Art & Painting, Mushroom cultivation, Candle and Agarbathi making, bamboo work etc.
- 50 child labours (18 boys and 32 girls) have been enrolled in the school.
- 30 awareness generation programmes were organized in the area to sensitize the Parents/ Guardians of students to spread the message of prevention and elimination of child labour.